UnDUNE II is a demake of the classic (and original) RTS game DUNE II, re-created from scratch in PICO-8.
A strategy-based resource management simulation, where three houses fight for control of the planet Dune - the land of sand and home of the spice.
This project started as a fun idea, that I expected to get done within a month or two.
Well... almost 3 years later (working on & off, in my free time) - I'm happy to say that it is finally finished! 😅
👥 All 3 Factions (+Sardaukar)
👨🏫 All 3 Mentats (+Bene Gesserit)
️🗺️ All 9 Mission Levels (inc. anim map w/ intros)
🔊 Music + SFX remade for PICO-8 (by @Gruber)
🏭 All 19 Building Types
🚛 All 21 Unit Types
🏯 All Palace Weapons
🏨 Capture Buildings (inc. Harvesters)
️⛰️ Multiple Terrain Types
️️⛏️ Spice Blooms
🌁 Fog of War
📡 Low/High-res Radar
🤖 Multiple AI Opponents
💾 Auto-saving after each Level
📊 Level End Stats (w/ Rankings)
💾 ️Spanning 12 PICO-8 Carts
⏳ HOURS of gameplay!
If you've never played the original (or an old-school RTS) before, the basic principle of UnDUNE II is as follows.
Build up your base by ...building! (just remember to put down concrete slab foundations before placing your buildings, to avoid damage).
Wind Traps generate electricity to power your buildings. Refinery's take raw Spice (mined by Harvesters), which are converted into credits, to allow you to build more! Take your units and explore your new terrain.
But watch out, as you are not alone. There are two other foreign factions that will fight you for control of Dune. Not to mention the native lifeforms - such as Sandworms, which can swallow units whole!
Units can be instructed to attack enemy units and may automatically retreat when outnumbered. Harvesters will automatically try to find the closest spice, but can also be told where to mine - they'll also automatically return to base for unloading when full.
Grow your base, expand your building options as you go (more will unlock at later levels). Preserve your Construction Yard at all costs - you can't build another one!
(unless you have an MCV...)
Good luck! 😀🎖️
...feel free to share any cool pics/vids using #UnDUNE2 hashtag
Pre-built Win, Mac, Linux, RPi executables can be downloaded from the UnDUNE II itch.io page.
👨💻 Code, PixelArt:
• Paul Nicholas - (Liquidream) - https://www.liquidream.co.uk
🎶 Music & SFX:
• Chris Donnelly - (Gruber_Music) - https://www.grubermusic.com
️️🖼️ "Dune Nights" Cover Art by Ahmad Alromeadheen (@AAlromeadheen)
🕹️ Playtesting by Tim Hicks, Krystian Majewski, Chris Donnelly, Dylan Bennett, Maxwel
• Rotate Sprite and Raycast 3D Title snippets by @freds72
• TLINE Sprite Rotation snippet by @TheRoboZ
• PX9 Data Compression by @zep
• Good Enough Minifier for Pico-8 by Paul Hammond
• picotool (luamin) by Dan Sanderson
• Retrospecs by John Parker
• A* Pathfinder and Particle System by @morgan3d
• Bitmasking example by @MrBigaston
• Dialog Text Flow w/ Coroutines by @MBoffin
• Palette-Maker by @2darray
• "UnDUNE II: The Demaking of a Dynasty" name suggestion by @thattomhall
• Westwood Studios for creating such an inspiring classic game.